Sunday, April 28, 2013

At The Movies: Oblivion


Movie: Oblivion
Stars: Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko, Andrea Riseborough
My Rating: 4/5

What I liked~
The dragonfly-style flying craft. I'm always amazed by the designs they come up with in scifi movies, and I have to say this is one of my favorites. It's clearly based on a dragonfly, but instead of wings it uses two circular engines that rotate and drive the ship. The bubble cockpit also moves 180 degrees as shown in a very awesome fight  scene. Specs of the ship can be found here.

The house on top of the pole thing. Very Jetsons, but it totally worked. Great views all around and the pool...ohmigod.

Jaime Lanister...I mean, Nicolak Coster-Waldau. Full on squeals and giggles ensued at his appearance on screen. He didn't even have to change looks, just put on a scifi looking suit (what is with the cod piece!), grab a gun and he was ready to kick some ass.

Morgan Freeman with a cape. Do not doubt the badassery of that.

What I didn't like~
Olga playing the role of weepy wife. Also, I wished she'd done more in the movie. Not just be the woman the hero carries around.

This movie used a very 'old school' sounding track in certain scenes. You know, those with an epic score but heavy on the drums and a keyboard...Listen to it here. The first 30 seconds of that song get played on a couple of scenes and it totally took me out of this post-apocalyptic world! Oddly enough, I do like the song on its own. It's a love hate situation.

The unknown entity. Can't explain this more or else it's a spoiler. You'll know when you watch it.

The too happy happy-ending! It doesn't go at all with the tone of the rest of the movie. I would've been happy for Plan A which was the ultimate sacrifice scenario.

What I loved~
The nickname Vika for Victoria. Seriously. Considering it for my firstborn.

Yeah, this again...I want one.

No comments:

Post a Comment