Wednesday, February 12, 2014

At The Movies (Home Edition): The Hunger Games - Catching Fire


Movie: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Stars: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks 
My rating: 4/5

What I loved~
Peeta. The storyline of this movie certainly highlights Peeta's character, how sweet and caring he is, yet also not afraid to stand courageous. He's still the poor love sick puppy following after Katniss, but at least now he defends himself.

Katniss. I'm not a fan of her at all--books or movie--but I really liked the emotion Lawrence puts into her. When she was begging Haymitch to make sure to save Peeta foremost, I totally believed it. I could feel her panic. However, not all the emotions were believable (see What I didn't like~)

Effie. She is as fabulous as ever. Banks certainly owns the role. Two of my favorite lines from this movie were when she says to Peeta "A T T I T U D E" and then inside the presidential house, she comments "And the library, all mahogany" and smiles. I just burst out laughing because they carried on with the joke. Maybe in the third movie she can club someone with a mahogany chair leg or something. Anyways, Effie is plenty of fun, but then she almost made me cry when she was giving the tokens to her team.

The allies: Let me start with my favorites, Finnick and Mags. Fin was as sassy or sassier than the books and I completely loved him for it. Mags was just a darling, and I can't believe she actually hanged on to Finnick for some of the scenes (I mean the actual actress who plays Mags, not the girl double). Finnick screaming for Mags in the fog cracked my heart clean in two </3 My second favorite was Johanna. The girl is fierce, and she has no fucks to give to anyone at any time.

What I liked~
The Capitol people:  I like that they took the time to include Flavius and Octavia. They certainly play a bigger role in the books, and I had missed them during the first movie. Also, Caesar and his laugh. HA HA HA  

Gale scenes. Whoever decided weave in those Gale scenes in between the tour is a genius. It's not part of the books at all, but it works perfect as character development for him since he plays a bigger role in the last book/movie.

The Arena. The lightning, the fog, the jabberjays, the tidal wave, the spinning clock, and breaking the shield. Amazing.

The ending. I do not remember the exact book ending but god damn was that a good plot twist or what.

What I didn't like~
The marriage and fake pregnancy subplot threw me off because I didn't remember it from the books, but I guess it added to the tension and the drama.

Katniss and Finnick. They made it seem as if they knew each other from before, so that first meeting felt really awkward in the dialogue with them throwing barbs at each other as if they had a previous rivalry.

This scene...
Peeta: Nodoby needs me.
Katniss: I do. I need you.
Me: With that enthusiasm I'd say you're a LIAR!

Also~

No comments:

Post a Comment