Thursday, August 29, 2013

I'm not lost...

...just drowning in work!

It's been more than a month since I last made a post, and I'm cringing at that because I promised myself I would be diligent and make regular posts. Alas, thesis work, writing blocks, and graduate studies have taken over my life.

If I haven't posted any book reviews is because I haven't read anything since May. I'm already having severe withdrawal symptoms. You know, insomnia, anxiety, and an uncontrollable desire to buy every new book that comes out even though I've got mini pyramids of unread books all over my room.

If I haven't posted any movie reviews is because I haven't gone to the theater since May. *cue sad music* I missed all of the summer movies: After Earth, Man of Steel (I didn't get to see that suit on the big screen and for that I will forever cry), Monster University, World War Z, Despicable Me, Pacific Rim (everyone keeps telling me it was amazeballs and I just whimper because I have to wait for the BluRay), etc. I'm still on time to watch Wolverine, Percy Jackson 2, and Elysium, but I just Don't. Have. Time. Or more like, I fear if I get a taste of the outside world I won't want to come back and work. I'll be like a wilde beast set free to stretch its limbs who will then put up a fight when it's time to go back in the cage...And the example got away from me. *apologizes profusely*

Anyways the only movie which I'll go see (hopefully today) is The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and it's because IT'S THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS!
*fangirl mode: on* 
AHHHHH! OMG ASDFGHJKLLSDFRW ITSMAGNUSFREAKINGBANEPEOPLEANDALECANDJACEANDCLARYAND
DEMONSANDTHEGUYFROMTHETUDORSANDQUEENCERSEIAND
AHOTWEREWOLFWHOWASONCEAHOTDWARF
ANDSTUFF!COOLSTUFFALLAROUND! /DEAD 
*fangirl mode: off*
A possible review will be written after watching it and after all the fangirl has died down a bit.

The bad news is that from here on out things will only get harder with the thesis and school work. Overachiever me somehow thought it was a smart idea to take not one, but two classes this term, a how-to-teach module and a grammar module, on top of trying to finish revising my entire novel for this term. *throws up* Yes, I'm fine. I can do this. I CAN DO THIS.

The only thing that's kept me in a semi-alive/sane state through all this is...

Kpop

Because being a hermit writer was getting kind of boring, I've now become a hermit writer with a Kpop obsession. I think this is perfectly normal for us writerly-nerdy-mostawesometypesofpeople types to have an obsession (read:fandom). I don't know about the rest, but I've found that having a current obsession typically fuels my muse. So while others have their tumblrs desktops filled with Supernatural, Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Sherlock I have mine filled with all of those plus Kpop idols. Pics, gifs, fanfiction, you name it, it's there. And while it's been an uphill, graveled and thorny road with my thesis, I'm sailing down a nice stream writing short Kpop fanfics that will probably never see the light of day, but that nonetheless keep me writing.  Kpop videos have also fueled something in me I thought long lost...the desire to *gasp* dance. Yeh. I've been dancing (read:wiggling/spazzing) to some of the kpop dances and it is beautiful to have something active to do.

In other words, obsessions are useful procrastination.
And in dire times, they keeps you somewhat sane.

PS: Note I've tagged this as 'rambling'

No comments:

Post a Comment